Thursday, October 18, 2012

Increase Novel Use of Language

How can you increase novel use of language? Through pretend play, I am able to build language and increase vocabulary repertoire. Oftentimes, when I fade back on cuing, the child's use of novel, spontaneous utterances increase dramatically! Working with motivation which is trains, I asked the Conductor last Sunday (on metro north) if I can have extra tickets to use with one of my clients. Using these real tickets became even more motivating during train playing. We added in the conductor who says "all aboard," "get your tickets ready!" To increase language I would have the child echos the language I model, and I would anticipate an increase of commenting during play, and increase novel use of language. See pictures of the train station built, and the tickets the pretend people carry.

No comments:

Post a Comment